A (least hardship)
Residential location (if applicable)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Regular > Regular Assignment
December 10, 2023
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Private Sector Partnerships Service (PSP) sits within UNHCR's Division of External Relations (DER) and is responsible for mobilizing resources for refugees from the private sector. UNHCR has developed a Private Sector Fundraising Strategy 2018-2025 which has the ambition of growing PSP into a service capable of generating $1 Billion annually and identifies priority fundraising markets and regions.
As part of this strategy, and in order to achieve the ambitious objectives of mobilizing necessary resources for UNHCR, colleagues working in the sphere of Private Partnerships and Philanthropy (PPH) mainly focus on developing and strengthening long-term partnerships with companies, foundations and private philanthropists (¿PPH donors¿). As part of a wider fundraising team, the primary role of PPH colleagues is to seek various forms of support from PPH donors: securing funding for UNHCR programmes and projects will be considered priority, but the work also includes leveraging the capacities of these partnerships beyond funding, in order to build long-lasting holistic partnerships bringing various forms of support to UNHCR and to persons of concern (POC), such as advocacy, visibility, expertise, innovation and public engagement.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- As delegated by the supervisor, support the outreach to and engagement of PPH donors, and all activities relevant for the acquisition and strengthening of relationships with them, depending on the local market and philanthropic landscape.
- Support donor cultivation and stewardship by drafting and/or adapting compelling proposals, reports, fact sheets and other materials targeting PPH donors, in close collaboration with PSP¿s global teams.
- Contribute to the strategic development of UNHCR¿s engagement with the private sector.
- Prepare the necessary research and materials for meetings with prospects and donor partners and follow up with supervisor and concerned staff on meeting outcomes and due tasks.
- Support the development of donor/partner recognition and acknowledgment tools for donor partners, including. providing support with video production, press releases / conferences, and social media visibility.
- Draft letters, project concept notes, proposals, and progress reports.
- Research, archive and maintain information on donor partners and new prospects, including keeping up to date biographical information, key philanthropic activities, up to date capital information, moves and actions plans (cultivation plans), tasks and events.
- Use Salesforce database to monitor PPH activity; and support the maintenance of up-to-date records of partnerships and relationships, including tracking income raised, keeping internal calendars and plans updated, and supporting on data entry and maintenance on Salesforce.
- Undertake ongoing research and data collection to identify new prospects, highlight potential priority prospects and thus build a prospect pipeline, and support programmes to inform and recruit prospects and supporters.
- Keep informed about the local fundraising and business environment, fundraising best practices, and about issues related to humanitarian and development work which might have an impact on PPH activities, and escalate to the supervisor if needed;
- Research and monitor opportunities, and build up a calendar of deadlines and criteria ensuring that all information is captured and shared with the PPH team so that opportunities can be leveraged.
- Assist with fundraising for emergencies by supporting the development of initiatives targeting PPH donors.
- Comply with UNHCR Due Diligence Procedures, help preparing compliance screening reports for submission to PSP¿s global team.
- Support the consolidation of data and information for financial reports and presentations on income, expenditure and budgets, and similar reporting requirements.
- Support the development of private sector engagement activities and tools, including through legacies, cause-related marketing, employee engagement and other activities targeting different types of PPH donor audiences.
- Support the preparation of internal and external workshops, meetings and networking events which help the cultivation and stewardship of PPH donors, including overseeing logistical aspects; and, if required, liaise with PSP HQ to support the engagement of the market¿s PPH partners and prospects at high-level events coordinated by HQ.
- As delegated, and in collaboration with Administrative colleagues, support PPH colleagues with procurement, administrative and travel matters.
- Support the successful organization of donor missions to Field Operations.
- Assist in the creation and dissemination of promotional materials for campaigns targeting PPH Donors to ensure compatibility, timing and best results.
- Support the engagement with intermediaries by undertaking research, consolidating information and bringing matters to the supervisor as needed.
If applicable, support on the development of marketing programmes to receive Gifts in Wills targeting major donors and High Net Worth Individuals (HNWI) audiences; and support plans to nurture such audiences into including UNHCR in their will
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G6 - 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
Marketing, Communications, Journalism,
International Relations, Economics, Business Administration,
Management, Social Sciences Fundraising,
or other relevant field
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Relevant experience with exposure to an international environment and/or with humanitarian or development organizations. Ability to produce high-quality written materials tailored to specific audiences. Ability to balance different and sometimes competing needs and deadlines. Experience in coordinating multiple stakeholders, with an ability to multi-task, manage time, and thrive in a high-pressure environment. Ability to function well in a multi-cultural environment. Knowledge of partnerships, fundraising, and/or relationships with donors and/or external partners, and/or sales, and/or marketing and communications.
Knowledge of humanitarian programming and/or UNHCR programmes and operational arrangements. Knowledge of SharePoint 365 platform. Knowledge of CRM tools, ideally Salesforce. Knowledge of specific fundraising techniques targeting PPH donors. Experience in a UN field location and/or working in a developing country
CL-Multi-stakeholder Communications with Partners, Government & Community
PS-Fundraising - High Net Worth Individuals (HNWI)
PS-Fundraising materials production and management
PS-Middle donor programme development and management
PS-Partnerships / Individual Giving Programmes
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
Written Test may be conducted
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
Occupational Safety and Health Considerations:
To view occupational safety and health considerations for this duty station, please visit this link:
Nature of Position:
The Private Sector Partnerships Associate (PPH) will play a key role in the further increase of income from private sector in Thailand and is supporting the implementation of the Private Sector Partnerships (PSP) programme in Thailand based on the PSP Country Strategy.
Under the functional supervision and in conjunction with UNHCR Thailand, the Private Sector Partnerships Associate will be responsible for Private Partnerships and Philanthropy (PPH) section in Thailand, particularly generating income to support refugees from three main pillars; Corporate, Foundation and High Net Worth Individuals (HNWIs).
' Ensure that PPH income targets are achieved in a cost effective manner
' Conduct research and identify PPH prospects based on the shared values/goals to ensure sustainable partnerships
' Build relationships with new business and account management for PPH donors
' Implement world class stewardship programme for PPH donors to ensure strong and unwavering support for refugees
' Monitor and analyse performance of PPH programme and propose recommendations for further improvement
The Private Sector Partnerships Associate (PPH) will be part of the PSP Thailand team and is expected to work closely with country operation, the PSP colleagues in Bangkok and the rest of the PSP network.
Living and Working Conditions:
CL-Multi-stakeholder Communications with Partners, Government & Community, IT-Computer Literacy, PS-Emergency Fundraising, PS-Fundraising - High Net Worth Individuals (HNWI), PS-Fundraising materials production and management, PS-Middle donor programme development and management, PS-Partnerships / Individual Giving Programmes
Business Administration - Other, Communication - Other, Economics - Other, Fundraising - Other, International Relations - Other, Journalism - Other, Management - Other, Marketing - Other, Social Sciences - Other
Accountability, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Empowering & building trust, Managing resource, Negotiation & conflict resolution, Organizational awareness, Political awareness, Stakeholder management, Teamwork & collaboration
This position doesn't require a functional clearance